Hi! This is Blythe from Desperate Craftwives, excited to be back guest posting at One Artsy Mama!
When Amy said she was going to do a series on handmade gifts for the holidays on the cheap, I had a great project in mind to share. Tile Photo Coasters! Family members LOVE getting these as gifts (especially the grandparents) and they are easy and inexpensive to make!
What You Need:
- Tiles (I got mine at Home Depot for about 15 cents each, measuring 4.25" x 4.25")
- Photographs (choosing which ones to use was the hardest part of this project!)
- Mod Podge
- Mod Podge Clear Acrylic Sealer Spray
- Cork or Adhesive Felt
How To Make Them:
- Trim photos to match tile size (my photographs were 4x6 and the tile was 4.25", so I had a little extra space at the top and bottom of my photo).
- Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the back of the photo and affix to tile. Be sure to smooth out any bubbles.
- Let dry completely.
- Apply Mod Podge to the edges of the tile to make sure picture edges are stuck down too.
- Spray several coats of Mod Podge Clear Acrylic Sealer onto tiles, spraying in a back and forth motion. Be sure to let it dry at least 15 minutes in between coats. I put about 8-10 coats on, which may have been overdoing it a bit, but wanted to make sure the coasters were waterproof.
- Once dry, glue cork onto the bottom or stick on some adhesive felt.
- Now tie the tile coasters together with a pretty ribbon and make someone really happy by giving them this thoughtful, handmade gift!