Honestly Simple Crochet Boot Cuffs

Hey, friends!  I’m super excited today to share a brand new, original crochet pattern with you!  Looking back at last year’s top 10 posts, 7 of them were crochet tutorials…which told me that’s something you all might like to see more of this year!  I resolved to try and come up with some more projects that build on those basic stitches I taught in the Crochet 101 series; things that look fabulous, but are seriously SO easy that they’re honestly doable for everyone {yes, even you}!  All you need to know is a chain stitch, a double crochet, and a slip stitch, all of which you can find instructions for right here on the blog if you need them.

Crochet Boot Cuffs

As many of you know, this weekend, I’m headed to NYC for the filming of the P&G Beauty and Lucky Magazine “New Voices of Beauty” video.  YOUR votes got me that golden ticket {thank you times a million!!!}, and now I’m headed to the Big Apple.  The filming is going to happen outside in the cold and snowy NY weather, and we were told to wear our most comfortable shoes, which in my case, is my pair of brown boots.  I’ve been wanting a pair of boot cuffs to wear with them for awhile now, so it seemed like the perfect time to figure out how to make myself a pair.  Here’s what I did, and you can too!

Lion Brand Yarn

Materials:
All you need is yarn and a crochet hook to make these.  You can also grab two buttons, a needle, and some thread if you want to add a little accent like I did.  One of the fun things about crocheting is that you can use any color and type of yarn you like and create all kinds of different looks.  If you totally love these as is, though, here are the exact things I used:

- Lion Brand Yarns Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn in Oatmeal {6 oz}
- size I/9 hook

You can see in the photo that I bought two skeins of yarn since I didn’t know for sure how much the project would take, but one ended up being plenty.  The extra great news is that it was on sale for just $5 a skein at Michaels this week!  So, this whole project cost me five bucks.  Love it.  I chose this particular yarn because I wanted that chunky fisherman’s sweater kind of look.  I’m somewhat allergic to wool if it’s in direct contact with my skin all day, but since these are going over jeans or leggings, it’ll treat me just fine.

Now, on to the pattern!  I’m going to write it out step by step since I know many of you are beginning crocheters.  Also, before you can do step one, you have to start your yarn…if you don’t know how, check out this “Starting and Slip Knots” post to get you going.

Step 1: Chain {ch} 35.
As a disclaimer, you may have to chain more or less for your own.  This worked for me for this yarn, this size hook, and the size of my legs.  This is the part that will circle your leg.  You can chain and then wrap and measure, but keep in mind that this will stretch as you continue.  Chain about 10 less than you think you need to get the two ends to meet {ask me how I know}.

Crochet Boot Cuffs

Step 2: Ch 3 to serve as the first double crochet, then double crochet {dc} in each of the other chain stitches until you get back to the beginning.  Turn.

Crochet Boot Cuffs

Step 3: Ch 3, dc in each dc.  Turn.  *Repeat Step 3 until you have 7 total rows of dc}.
You may choose to do more or fewer rows, depending on the size of your stitches as well as your boots.  Mine have a cut out spot in the back, so I wanted to be sure the cuffs were long enough that they filled the entire cutout.

Crochet Boot Cuffs

Step 4: Fold your piece in half with the right sides together on the inside.  Chain 1. Slip Stitch {ss} in each stitch of the short sides, joining the edges together.  Tie off and cut your yarn.

Crochet Boot Cuffs

Step 5: Turn right side out and tuck in your ends.

Crochet Boot Cuffs

To give mine a little extra personality, I chose two little wooden heart-shaped buttons and sewed them on the sides of my cuffs using a needle and some embroidery thread.

Crochet Boot Cuffs

That’s all there is to it!   This has to be the simplest boot cuff pattern ever; just chain, double crochet, and slip stitches.  Easy peasy!

Crochet Boot Cuffs

I find that it’s more fun for me to crochet when I’m watching something, so I worked on these while catching up on the last few episodes of the Big Bang Theory.  My best guess is that the pair of them took me somewhere between 30-40 minutes.  So there you have it.  Pretty quick, $5 cheap, and totally easy, even if you’re just starting out.  Lots of you successfully made the coffee cozies, and this is even simpler.  Think of it as a cozy for your leg.  Because it is.  At least I hope they’ll keep me cozy in NYC!!!

Crochet Boot Cuffs

Think you’ll make yourself a pair?  Or two or ten?  I’m already thinking about getting some yarn in other colors…maybe some sparkles too!

Just in case you’re still not so sure you can crochet {Honestly, you CAN!!}, check out this pattern my friend Adrianne came up with using a kids’ knitting loom…no actual knitting or crocheting skills required.  Either way, make yourself a pair and stay warm!  Brrrrrr, it’s cold in Artsy Land!

Hugs & Glitter,

siggy

Tagging: , , , ,

24 comments on Honestly Simple Crochet Boot Cuffs

1. Amy Bateman
    January 24, 2014 at 8:54 AM (6 months ago)

I need to get some yarn — or just check my stash ;) — and make some of these. My daughter is obsessed with boots and wears mine more than I can get my feet into them! She’s been asking for some fun boot socks, but I think these would do the trick for her. I love the yarn you used.
    Amy Bateman recently posted…Red Velvet Shortbread CookiesMy Profile

• dancers4life
      January 24, 2014 at 12:08 PM (6 months ago)

Aw, thanks so much, Denise!!

2. Chelsea
    January 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM (6 months ago)

These are so cute! I don’t know how to crochet, but this makes me want to! I especially love the little buttons on them. Thanks for sharing!
    Chelsea recently posted…The Best and Worst Parts of PregnancyMy Profile

• dancers4life
      January 25, 2014 at 1:57 PM (6 months ago)

Thank you, Chelsea! You can check out the Crochet 101 series {on my Honestly Doable page} for simple basic tutorials to get you started!

3. grandma
    January 24, 2014 at 5:15 PM (6 months ago)

They are really cute…Great easy pattern…Hoping they help keep you warm this weekend… :)

4. Crystal
    January 24, 2014 at 11:28 PM (6 months ago)

These are so cute. I love the heart buttons. Great job!!

5. Tori
    January 25, 2014 at 2:00 AM (6 months ago)

These are super cute!! I love the little wooden heart! Have fun in NY :)
    Tori recently posted…CHA Mega Show Wrap UpMy Profile

6. gerri
    January 25, 2014 at 12:17 PM (6 months ago)

these are great i am looking for easy hat and scarf patterns for the homeless and these would also be great . as well as easy mittens . if u have easy patterns for the above i would love them ‘

• dancers4life
      January 25, 2014 at 1:56 PM (6 months ago)

Well, I don’t have any of those posted, but to make a scarf, just chain as much as you want for the width of it, then follow this same pattern, double crocheting and turning until it’s as long as you want it to be. Couldn’t be any easier!!

7. Lorna
    January 25, 2014 at 1:20 PM (6 months ago)

These are really lovely – my daughters would just love a pair I am sure. These are definately going on my “to do list” which is getting ever longer!
    Lorna recently posted…Chocolate Chunk CookiesMy Profile

• dancers4life
      January 25, 2014 at 1:56 PM (6 months ago)

Thanks, Lorna! I want to see pics if you make some!

8. Anna
    January 30, 2014 at 11:29 PM (6 months ago)

Hi! I am very new to crocheting. I do not have any trouble with the steps but after I do my first row of chain stitches then start to double crochet, the tail end (the part that’s already done) keeps twisting around. Is this going to be a problem for me or will it straighten out once it’s done?
    I hope that makes since and someone can help me! Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

• dancers4life
      January 31, 2014 at 7:23 AM (6 months ago)

As soon as you get going, that will fix itself!

• Anna
        January 31, 2014 at 10:21 AM (6 months ago)

Thank you so much!

9. Jess
    January 31, 2014 at 5:20 PM (6 months ago)

Well, I did it! An afternoon crochet session, less than a skein of yarn, four buttons… Now I just have to figure out how I’m going to wear them! Even wearing them around the house, I think they keep me warmer :-)

10. Cynthia
    February 1, 2014 at 11:37 PM (6 months ago)

Im so excited to see this. I always thought the boot cuffs were the whole sock lol I bought the yarn and hook today and have crochet my “right” (lol) leg. cant wait to finish and wear them. I bought two different yarns to wear with coordinating outfits. Thank you so much for posting this pattern. <3 Cyn

• dancers4life
      February 3, 2014 at 7:48 AM (6 months ago)

Oh, yay!!! Will you send me photos of how they turn out?

11. Debbie
    February 3, 2014 at 5:28 AM (6 months ago)

Definitely a nice, easy pattern! I’m going to try it tonight but I think I will join the chain with a slip stitch then stitch in the round – will save the step for joining the sides.

• dancers4life
      February 3, 2014 at 7:48 AM (6 months ago)

Great idea, Debbie! Let me know how it turns out!

12. Jen
    February 11, 2014 at 12:57 AM (6 months ago)

I fear I may have made them too big! Thought I considered your 10-less than you think rule, but not sure. And they are a gift so I can’t really check. Super easy and cute. Fingers crossed they work.

• dancers4life
      February 14, 2014 at 6:45 PM (6 months ago)

uh-oh! I hope they fit your friend!

13. Kari @ the Sweetest Memory
    February 12, 2014 at 5:20 PM (6 months ago)

These are just darling, but here in Arizona where it will be almost 90 at the end of the week (way too hot for February!!), I will admire yours. :) Congratulations on your wonderful success! You deserve it! Kari
    Kari @ the Sweetest Memory recently posted…Vintage Inspired Valentine’s Day WreathMy Profile