Memorial Day Roadtrip {and Snacks from Giant}!

How many of you have fun plans for Memorial Day?  We do!  All three of us in the Artsy Family absolutely love being outdoors and exploring nature together, so we’re taking a road trip to Catoctin State Park.  There’s lots to do and see there that we all enjoy, like hiking the trail to see Cunningham Falls.  Last year, Little Crafter insisted that he needed a walking stick to be a real “mountain man.”

You can also rent paddleboats and canoes, and there’s even a beach area where you can swim if you want to.  Little Crafter is so anxious for his legs to get long enough to help paddle!
And of course, no road trip is complete without food!  We always pack a picnic lunch, which we enjoy at a table near the lake, as well as plenty of snacks for on the trail and in the car.  I love this photo because you can see what an intent eater LC is when he’s got food he likes…just look at him literally stuffing his face with strawberries!
Since Memorial Day is just a week away, I wanted to go ahead and buy our snacks so I could cross that off my {very long} to-do list.  I headed to Giant to see what great deals I could find on our favorite treats.

I love how there’s a “Real Deal” section where I can see some of the week’s best buys all in one place.

These are just a few of the sales I decided to take advantage of!  We always like to have lots of bottled water with us when we go to Catoctin so that we stay hydrated.  We take some for the picnic, some for the hike, and some for in the car, so this 24 pack for $3.99 was a great buy!  Little Crafter prefers juice to water, and his favorite is apple, so I got him an 8-pack of Juicy Juice drink boxes.  He thinks it’s hilarious that they have the Monsters Inc. characters on them, which is an added bonus.
Little Crafter’s favorite snack food, hands down, is Pepperidge Farm Goldfish crackers, so I picked some up at the great price of $2 a bag, and I got some Grasshopper cookies for us to share too.  Don’t worry, I also got some healthy food too, like strawberries {which were $1 off!}, and I got bread, rolls, and a few other things to munch on while we’re enjoying our trip.  Not only did I save $4.64 with my bonus card, I also accumulated some gas rewards points, which means we can fill up the tank before we leave at a discounted price!  These days, I’m more than happy to get discounted gasoline whenever I can!
Here’s a look at what will be coming with us for our picnic and just for munchies in the car and along the trail!  If you want to see more details about the deals I found and feel like you were right there shopping with me {trust me, I’m a fun shopping buddy!}, check out my album on G+!
The boys were excited to see what I bought, and now I just have to hide the chips and cookies so they don’t disappear between now and next Monday!  Already two of the drink boxes are gone!
I’m so ready for our trip!  We already know how to get there, so no need for a map, and we don’t have any other preparations to make, other than wearing comfy clothes and shoes and applying our sunscreen when the day comes.  It’s so fun exploring the great outdoors together and just spending some quality family time enjoying each other’s company.  We leave our technology at home, so there are no emails, tweets, texts, or other electronic interruptions, which is really refreshing.  I love watching the boys climb on rocks together and seeing Little Crafter’s face light up as he tosses pebbles into the water.  It’s those little things that make the big memories.
What about you?  How are you planning on spending this Memorial Day?  If you’re going on a road trip like we are or maybe hosting a cookout at your home, Giant has promotions and sales that will help you do it on a budget {thank goodness}!  I’d love to hear about where you’re headed or how you’re celebrating!  Let me know here or on Facebook, and I’d love to see your family photos too!
Hugs & Glitter,

18 comments on Memorial Day Roadtrip {and Snacks from Giant}!

1. Lindsay @Artsy-Fartsy Mama
    May 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM (2 years ago)

Always nice to get awesome deals when you’re shopping for a trip!! :) LC is the cutest!

2. Building Moxie
    May 20, 2013 at 6:45 PM (2 years ago)

man … Snacks! I have a road trip myself planned, but hadn’t thought about Snacks! … there happens to be a new Giant right up the road for me in Parkville. I was in (and out) Saturday to pick up the Team Snack for Saturday’s softball games.

Safe Travels Amy enjoy Memorial Day.

3. Christina @ The Scrappy Housewife
    May 20, 2013 at 6:47 PM (2 years ago)

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Giant! I shop there every single week – even with one of those fancy “high end” places down the road. Giant is just so much better at helping me stay on budget. I was literally *just* sitting down to plan my trip for this week when I saw your post. Enjoy your weekend too! Looks like you guys have a lot of fun. :)

4. Jocie@TheBetterHalf
    May 20, 2013 at 6:49 PM (2 years ago)

What great deals! i love giant….especially my local one that has the scanners you can take around the store with you so check out is super quick and you can bag as you go! woot woot!

5. Kirsten Thompson
    May 20, 2013 at 6:49 PM (2 years ago)

We don’t have Giant here in the Atlanta area so I have to hit Wal-mart for my grocery deals. Marley and I will be stocking up this week to hit the road for Kentucky on a mommy/Marley trip for Memorial Day weekend :) Have fun with your sweet family!

6. Tawna Thompson
    May 20, 2013 at 7:00 PM (2 years ago)

That looks like a super fun trip! We always go hiking on Memorial Day too! I want some of those tasty snacks for our hike!

7. Emily
    May 20, 2013 at 7:02 PM (2 years ago)

Yeah, the grocery stores around here are pretty limited– I live in Metro-Atlanta. I *SO* miss living in Pennsylvania where there were more options to grocery stores. Some of these “Northern” companies need to expand their market to include the Deep South! :)

Luckily, we’re going to Florida on vacation, so I won’t be doing any cooking this Memorial Day!

~Emily
    A Tossed Salad Life

8. Chiwei @ One Dog Woof
    May 20, 2013 at 7:04 PM (2 years ago)

Oh man, I need to get started on my weekend snack-buying, toddler-packing to-do list! Thanks for the great suggestions!

9. Dianna @ Craft A Spell
    May 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM (2 years ago)

Sounds like a fun Memorial Day! We’re driving down to Virginia for the weekend to relax with no technology. Sadly, there are no Giants down there but I love going by Giant when I’m at home! LOVE the gas rewards!!

10. Designed Decor
    May 21, 2013 at 12:28 AM (2 years ago)

I love Roadtrips! I will be on a cruise ship for Memorial day!

11. Megan
    May 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM (2 years ago)

Road trips are fun! I wish we had Giants on the west coast. Sounds like you got a lot of great deals!

May 21, 2013 at 12:53 AM (2 years ago)

I love Giant too…Looks like a fun trip with lots of great snacks..
    You are a fun shopper…
    Have a great weekend…
    Nice post.

13. Kadie
    May 21, 2013 at 2:23 AM (2 years ago)

I bet you all have a great time on your road trip! We are planning a BBQ {well the kids and I are hubby is working all weekend} and I’m wishing I lived closer to a Giant! Looks like they have some great deals.:)

14. Megan Vaughn
    May 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM (2 years ago)

Great tips! That looks like my Giant that I shop at. ;) Enjoy your Memorial Day Weekend.

15. Eva Scott
    May 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM (2 years ago)

What a fun family trip! My son would love to try paddle boating. Fun! My brother in law’s birthday is this weekend so that’s prob what we’re doing for memorial day.

16. Capi
    May 22, 2013 at 9:31 PM (2 years ago)

We spent lots of weekends fun visiting and camping there when my kids were young and I lived in So. Central PA. Hope you have a lovely weekend…a word of advice…wear hats and check for ticks.

17. Marilyn Clark
    May 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM (2 years ago)

Wow, what fun times. I think Memorial day outdoor activities are especially “delish” since winter has recently ended! Have an amazing weekend, Amy!