Potted Bulb Paint Drip Planter

This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of iBulb for SocialSpark. All opinions are 100% mine.

I don’t know about you friends, but I am SO ready for Spring!  Unfortunately, it’ll be another month or so before things start warming up around here, but that doesn’t mean I can’t have some Spring in my home, right?  The flowers in my garden may not be blooming yet, but I can still have some indoors to make things cheerful here in the Artsy House!  Here’s a fun project Little Crafter and I did to help hurry Spring along, and you can do it too!

POTTED BULBS IN PAINT DRIP PLANTER

Materials:

- terracotta pot
- acrylic paint, various colors
- Mod Podge
- paint brush
potted bulbs

STEP 1: Paint entire pot with a base coat of whatever color you want.  We chose white so it would be nice and neutral, especially since we wanted to use some springy pastels as our drip colors.

STEP 2: Turn pot upside down and squeeze paint onto the bottom, letting it run down the sides.  This was LC’s favorite part!  Let it dry completely.

STEP 3: Apply a coat of Mod Podge over the entire pot to seal the paint and make it water resistant.  Let dry.

When dry, flip your pot right side up.  Make sure you’ve painted down into the pot about 1/4 of the way so that you don’t see the original pot color above the soil line.

STEP 4: Transfer your potted bulbs to the finished pot. We got ours from the local grocery store.  You can also find them at garden centers and flower shops.

A word to the wise…do your repotting outside.  Even if it’s only 36 degrees.  Because if you try doing it on your dining room table, you’ll just end up making a big fat mess.  Ask me how I know.  Anyway, aren’t they gorgeous and cheerful?

They just make me smile when it’s gray and cold outside.  I’m loving it.  And of course, LC wants to show off his handiwork to everyone who comes over!

This project would also make a great Easter or even Mother’s Day gift; the flowers are a gift that keeps on giving, and the hand-decorated pot, especially if it’s made by a Little Crafter, will be something to treasure!

There are lots of other fun and springy ways to display potted bulbs in your home too; I love this idea I saw on Pinterest where they put tulips in a clear vase with candies…how cute would this be with jelly beans for an Easter centerpiece?!

What about you?  Do you have flowers in your home to add some cheer?  What’s your favorite way to pot them?

Hugs & Glitter,

Visit Sponsor's Site

25 comments on Potted Bulb Paint Drip Planter

1. Eva {Tales of the Scotts}
    February 11, 2013 at 1:45 AM (2 years ago)

So stinkin cute!! Love how colorful and kid-friendly this project is! And tulips are my favorite flower so that’s an added bonus. :-)

2. Lynn
    February 11, 2013 at 1:58 AM (2 years ago)

Clever. We long for spring right now, so this would be a great project for our home. Kid friendly usable crafts are our favorite, especially ones like this that will be treasured gifts for those we love.

3. Emily
    February 11, 2013 at 2:05 AM (2 years ago)

Amy, these would be the best Mother’s Day presents for the boys to give to their grandmothers, or my parents’ anniversary next month. I love this project! I’m pinning it for later! :)

~Emily

4. Nancy Bandzuch
    February 11, 2013 at 2:08 AM (2 years ago)

This has me itching for spring! Love the clors you chose for the pot. It’s perfect!

5. Dianna Leonard
    February 11, 2013 at 2:11 AM (2 years ago)

You and LC did a great job and are making me want spring! As a huge fan of winter, that’s really hard to do! :)

6. Emily
    February 11, 2013 at 2:39 AM (2 years ago)

This is a great project Amy! I love the idea of using this idea for Mother’s Day or my parents’ anniversary next month, and having the boys (or rather my big boy) do this for gifts! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

~Emily

7. Susan@Organized31
    February 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM (2 years ago)

Love the colorful simplicity of the flower pot. You’ve also got me in the mood to start making these for Mother’s Day. Got get my bulbs now.

8. Messy
    February 11, 2013 at 12:44 PM (2 years ago)

Super cute and easy project! :) ))

Cheers,
    Messy

9. Tawna Thompson
    February 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM (2 years ago)

Those are so cute! Your Little Crafter is very talented with the paint drips! :) I think I will try that one with my little munchkins.

10. Chosen Sisters
    February 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM (2 years ago)

What a fun idea. I am going to pass this along to the Master Gardener who coordinates our volunteering with kids facing developmental challenges. This would be a fun Mother’s Day gift project, I think. Thanks for sharing.

11. Tawna Thompson
    February 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM (2 years ago)

Those are so cute! Your Little Crafter is very talented with the paint drips! :) I think I will try this one with my little munchkins! Thanks for the inspiration

12. Chosen Sisters
    February 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM (2 years ago)

Amy, I love this idea and am going to send your link to the lady who coordinates our master gardening volunteering with children. I think this would be a great project to do with the kids for Mother’s Day. Thanks for sharing it.

Capi

13. megan
    February 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM (2 years ago)

LOVE this Amy!! I’m totally thinking about doing this for my mom and mil for mothers day now!! Such a cute idea and I know my little crafters would have fun with it too! :) Thanks for sharing!

14. Erica
    February 13, 2013 at 11:43 PM (2 years ago)

I just love the bright cheery colors. It is fun that you dripped the paint down from the bottom rather than starting at the top like you would expect. It adds an unexpected element in that the drips are going up. :)

15. Kadie
    February 21, 2013 at 2:29 AM (1 year ago)

Very cool! I love tulips they are one of the best things about spring to me! And the planter is adorable.

16. Helen
    March 2, 2013 at 3:14 PM (1 year ago)

Cute idea !! I posted to my blog helens-corner.blogspot.com

17. ramsaygrace
    March 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM (1 year ago)

I saw this when you first posted, and kept thinking about it. Finally, I broke down and bought some pots for me girls to try it. Even my four year old could do this. I know they’re going to love it!

18. Marilyn Clark
    March 12, 2013 at 2:41 AM (1 year ago)

This project ROCKS, Amy! So springy. Thanks for sharing at March Madness