Pillowcase Dress Drive

Hey, friends!  How many of you remember a special post I did last March about a young lady named Mallory who started something called Project Yesu in the hopes of helping provide food, medicine, and education for children in Uganda?  {If not, be sure you stop by to read more about it}.

In the past year, Mallory and her team have been working hard and doing some amazing things, like taking a trip to Uganda in October to deliver 450 lbs of supplies.  They are taking another trip this coming June, and one of the things they want to take with them this time is as many pillowcase dresses as they can collect for the poverty-stricken young girls.

Here’s where you come in.

Do you sew?
If so, you probably already know that a pillowcase dress is one of the simplest sewing projects that exists.  If you’ve never made one, you can find a tutorial here at Sew Like My Mom.

Easiest Pillowcase Dress Ever
Don’t sew?
Never fear, you can also make a no-sew pillowcase dress…believe it or not, it’s simple and just as nice!
Here’s a tutorial from Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom.
NO-SEW Pillowcase Dress
What do you think?  To me, it sounds like an incredible opportunity to do what we’ve been talking about in the CAKE {Crafting Acts of Kindness Everywhere} series…using our interests and talents to bring joy to others.  Could you find the time to make even one of these sweet, simple dresses and send it to Project Yesu so they can deliver it to a little girl in Uganda?  They will take any size, any colors, any fabric…any dress you make with love.
Completed dresses can be shipped to:
Project Yesu
c/o Rory Fundora
1178 Willow Bend Drive
Clarksville, TN 37043

The deadline is May 31, so that they can get the dresses packed and ready to take on the trip.
If you make some, I’d love to see photos so I can share them on the Facebook page.  Also, please share this post on your Facebook, Twitter, etc. so that we can spread the word and get as many crafters involved as possible!  Here’s a great way to use our talents to help and bless someone else on the other side of the world.  Let’s do it!

For more information about Project Yesu, take a look at their fantastic website.

Hugs & Glitter,

11 comments on Pillowcase Dress Drive

1. Lynn
    February 22, 2013 at 7:50 PM (1 year ago)

I am so glad you have hooked me up with this project. I had an aunt who made a post about this a year or two ago but I just thought it was something she was doing through her church but I was very interested. I am so glad. This is a wonderful project and post.

2. Bev. Wilson
    February 22, 2013 at 9:39 PM (1 year ago)

love this craft and cause! wonderful idea. I’ve used pillowcases to make aprons – the bib and the skirt together – or tucked on to a vintage skirt too. all the best to you and Mallory with Project Yesu!
    facebook: Bev Wilson Red Easel Studio
    or Bev. Wilson

3. Bev. Wilson
    February 22, 2013 at 9:40 PM (1 year ago)

love this craft and cause! wonderful idea. I’ve used pillowcases to make aprons – the bib and the skirt – with vintage skirts tucked in too. all the best with Project Yesu!

4. Dianna Leonard
    February 23, 2013 at 4:23 PM (1 year ago)

I haven’t sewn much but Mallory is so inspiring I think I’m going to have to stop by Jo Ann’s today and give it a try! I love the idea of using crafts to help others!

5. Rory Fundora
    February 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM (1 year ago)

Thank you Amy for sharing our story, and for everyone for helping us with making dresses. The children in Uganda will be SO happy to receive these special dresses!

6. Banglewood Crafts
    February 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM (1 year ago)

Mallory is so inspiring. Imagine if we all did something like this. My mother sows I’m going to see if she can make some. Thanks Amy!

7. Bonny Yokeley
    March 1, 2013 at 10:04 PM (1 year ago)

This is a wonderful project. I will share this on my blog’s FB page and try to make a few myself.
    Bonny @ thedomesticatedprincess.com

8. Amber
    March 5, 2013 at 4:09 AM (1 year ago)

first project!

9. Amber
    March 6, 2013 at 1:01 AM (1 year ago)

I just realized my previous post is not complete. :/ lol. I currently started working at a fabric store, I found this post and I love this idea. I am going to make this te first project I am going to buy with my first paycheck! I want to try to make 3 dresses. This is a wonderful cause and I want to be a part of it! Thanks

10. Betsy @ Anna Nimmity
    April 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM (1 year ago)

I love it when people use their own gifts to make the world a better place, and in the process inspire others to do the same. I’m going to share this on my facebook page. Thanks for sharing Mallory’s story.