Trash to Treasure: TP Roll Painting

I’ve said it so many times, but it’s really true…one of my most favorite things about blogging is how much inspiration I gain!  It’s such fun seeing a great project on another blog or on Pinterest, then making it your own.  Last week, one of my favorite {and first} bloggy friends, Carmella, posted a fantastic tutorial about how she painted a few canvases using toilet paper rolls.  They looked so good, and the project was so simple…I already had all the materials I needed on hand!  So, here’s my take one her great idea:

All you need is a canvas, some paint, and a toilet paper roll!  And you can make something like this:

At Carmella’s suggestion, I simply taped the photo in place rather than Mod Podging it so that I can switch it whenever the mood strikes and I get another picture I would rather showcase.  For now, though, this is my absolute favorite family photo, taken on the 4th of July!

Little Crafter, who is ridiculously observant for a three year old, noticed the new artwork when he woke up from his nap and decided he wanted to try his hand at TP art.  He wanted a purple canvas {purple for the Ravens, of course!} and chose several colors for his circles.  Here’s how his canvas turned out before we added the photo…which would be pretty cool as stand-alone artwork too, don’t you think?

…And here it is with the photo added.  He is so proud of it!

I love how it turned out and he does too!  This is such a fun project and obviously works well whether you’re three or twenty-eight plus three.  Whaddya say, why not give it a try?  I’d love to see how yours turns out!  Be sure to check out Carmella’s version and tell her I said hi!

Happy weekend and Happy Crafting!

12 comments on Trash to Treasure: TP Roll Painting

1. Nancy
    July 22, 2012 at 4:27 AM (2 years ago)

I love this simple project and I have really enjoyed looking around your blog! I too am one artsy blogger mommy! I am blogging over at dosmallthingswithlove.blogspot.com and I’m excited to be your newest follower!

Nancy

2. Miriam@BeBookBound
    July 22, 2012 at 4:34 AM (2 years ago)

Oh this is a darling idea! And the result is so graphic and fun. The inspiration really is the best part of blogging, isn’t it ? Thanks for being awesome as always, Amy :)

3. Jess@Coxs Corner
    July 22, 2012 at 6:49 AM (2 years ago)

I really like this idea! I think my son will get a kick out of it!

4. Carmella
    July 22, 2012 at 1:23 PM (2 years ago)

Your paintings turned out amazing! And little crafter…. My goodness that sweet boy can paint! Thank you for your sweet words, so happy to have you as a friend :)

5. Maureen Hayes
    July 22, 2012 at 7:09 PM (2 years ago)

So darn cute! I love that Little Crafter noticed and created his own,which came out wonderfully, BTW!

6. Meagan
    July 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM (2 years ago)

What a fun idea, loved how these turned out!

July 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM (2 years ago)

I really love these…Such a cute idea…You would never know it was made with a tp roll…thanks for sharing…

8. Mary Ryan
    July 23, 2012 at 6:22 PM (2 years ago)

I love these, they turned out great. I have a growing stack of tp rolls that rivals my growing list of things to do with them. Can’t wait to give this a try!

9. Donna Wilkes
    July 26, 2012 at 2:37 PM (2 years ago)

Came over from Creative Princess. I do save cardboard rolls for painting backgrounds. they are cheap, easy to use, and as you found out, create expensive looking canvases!

Distressed Donna Down Home

10. Gen
    October 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM (1 year ago)

I love TP art!! I’m planning a few projects around it already. And LC has some good color coordination, love that color combo! I don’t know if I could’ve cut a whoel for a picture frame, cuz like you said it looks awesome as artwork!
    Thanks so much for taking the time to link up at my greener linky party, it really means so much to me!