Little Monster

You all know I love me a good project.  Especially if it’s cheap, easy, and something LC is going to love.
Remember two weeks ago, I featured this cool Monster Patch from Watch Out for the Woestmans?
I thought it was just the cutest idea; perfect for a little man!  I joked that when I showed LC the picture, he’d start ripping his jeans on purpose, but the truth is…I’m the one who may or may not have done something like that.  See, we were out shopping the other day and I noticed that Little Crafter’s jeans had a hole in them!
See?  It’s huge, isn’t it?  Totally needs a patch.
…or at least it did after I took the scissors to it.
After I cut the big hole, I cut a piece of red felt that was slightly larger than the opening as well as two “teeth” from white felt.  LC told me he wanted a “silly monster, not a scary one,” so we made some Mater-style chompers.  First, I sewed the teeth onto the red felt, then I sewed the whole deal onto the pants.
The trickiest part of the whole thing was getting his little tiny pants leg to work around my sewing machine so I didn’t sew the leg together.  I managed to do it with the mouth, but when it came to the eyes, there was no way to do it by machine; I had to hand stitch.  I cut out two white felt circles and two black, stitched them together, then sewed them on the pants.
Ta-da!  One silly monster.
Accomplished during one naptime.
{Kind of}ripped jeans: Free
Felt and thread: Already had it on hand
Look on LC’s face: Priceless
I think it turned out just adorable…but not quite as cute as the model.  Gosh, I love this kid!
Happy ripping!  I mean, crafting!

37 comments on Little Monster

April 9, 2012 at 12:02 PM (2 years ago)

ha ha,..I would have done that too. Oh wow, look at that hole. he he Turned out super adorable.

2. Tisha
    April 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM (2 years ago)

So cute! I wonder if my boys are too big for this, because they sure can make some holes in their knees. I’d love it if you’d share this at my Show & Tell party, going on now @ the Delectable Home.

3. I am LOVD
    April 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM (2 years ago)

The cutest!!! I also like the fact that the cute little monster is with them, like a friend. So, if they’re scared about going someplace, they could where the pants and have their little monster friend right there with them giving them courage and helping them feel not-so alone.

4. Kadie
    April 9, 2012 at 3:30 PM (2 years ago)

I have been waiting for my boys pants to get a hole in them so I could try this out! I think I may take your approach!:) Turned out great.

5. Doranda
    April 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM (2 years ago)

Looks Great! Thanks for linking back to my blog!

6. Four Marrs and One Venus
    April 9, 2012 at 5:28 PM (2 years ago)

You were not kidding were you.. when you said ” I may have to cut a pair of jeans to do this project” haha! This is so so cute and yes LC loves it you can tell with that smile! What kid wouldn’t love a monster on their jeans…I mean really! :) So cute!

7. Blythe
    April 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM (2 years ago)

Patch is really cute. And this post totally cracked me up…thanks for the laugh!
    Blythe

8. Carolyn at Moose Mouse Creations
    April 10, 2012 at 1:04 AM (2 years ago)

This is great. So cute! I have a HUGE pile of “hole in the knee” pants that I’ve been waiting for some terrific idea to come along…

9. Carrie
    April 10, 2012 at 1:32 AM (2 years ago)

So cute!! I love it!

10. Jill
    April 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM (2 years ago)

Amy, simply darling! Love the Mater-style teeth! Perfect!

11. Jill
    April 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM (2 years ago)

Amy, simply darling! Love the Mater-style teeth! Perfect!

12. Night Garden Design
    April 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM (2 years ago)

So cute! I really love your adaptation of this project. And your kiddo looks thrilled!

13. Mindie Hilton
    April 13, 2012 at 1:23 AM (2 years ago)

Love this, my oldest seems to rip all of his jeans. I need to try this.

14. andie jaye
    April 13, 2012 at 4:35 AM (2 years ago)

i’ve seen this and actually wanted to do it to a pair of MY jeans! thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

15. Natalia
    April 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM (2 years ago)

Oh my gosh, I love this! I wouldn’t have to make any holes either, my son’s done that already!

16. Sewing for Utange
    April 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM (2 years ago)

What a wonderful idea! I have some little monster purses on my blog which would go really well with these.

17. Handy Man, Crafty Woman
    April 18, 2012 at 4:44 AM (2 years ago)

How cute! Love his tshirt too! what a cutie! I’m featuring this project on this week’s Wicked Awesome Wednesday party.

18. MJ
    April 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM (2 years ago)

This is such a cute idea. Thank you for sharing. I must do this with my boys jeans!
    XOXO
    MJ

19. Allison
    February 24, 2013 at 5:14 AM (2 years ago)

I wish that I had to rip jeans! Ha, with four boys I have a huge bag of ripped jeans that I need to fix! This might be just the way! Thanks for the idea! :)

20. Ian Anderson
    February 27, 2013 at 7:54 AM (2 years ago)

This comment has been removed by the author.

21. Ian Anderson
    February 27, 2013 at 7:55 AM (2 years ago)

Absolutely love this!
    My boy gets through knees in his jeans like you wouldn’t believe!
    Thanks

22. litlsis
    February 28, 2013 at 10:44 PM (1 year ago)

Love this. My six year old buddy goes through pants like nobody’s business. I think I can still slip a little cute in. Perhaps a scary monster would suit him better. Thanks for sharing!

23. Sew2pro
    July 26, 2013 at 4:55 PM (1 year ago)

Love it!

Shame I don’t have a little boy for who I could make use of this great idea! Maybe my big boys could be persuaded!

• dancers4life
      February 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM (6 months ago)

Thanks so much!

24. Sandy
    March 27, 2014 at 11:41 AM (5 months ago)

Wow!!! this really took me back….53 years to be exact. i grew up very poor in the Appalachian Mountains of KY. My mom was a genius, she could take nothing and make something out of it. When i was in first grade my only pair of pants got a hole in them and she cut this hole bigger in a heart shaped and patched them with a piece of red fabric. At first i didn’t like them and was afraid I would get laughed at but she told me she sewed “love”into my pants. Sure enough the kids at school laughed at my pants until i told them my mom sewed love into my pants. When my mom came to school a little later for a program, several moms came up to her and asked her if she would sew “love” into their kids clothes.

• dancers4life
      March 27, 2014 at 7:17 PM (5 months ago)

What a sweet story!! Thank you so much for sharing it with me today!