Follow, Follow, Follow, Follow….

So there’s a lot of talk going on lately around Bloggerville about what we’re all going to do when Google Friend Connect leaves for all non-blogspot blogs at the beginning of March.  Rumor has it, GFC may eventually disappear for the rest of us too, so it’s wise to make sure we have a Plan B for how to follow our favorite blogs.  Recently, I shared one option with you, blog lovin’, which I’ve really enjoyed so far.  I like getting an email each day with links to the newest posts on my favorite sites, and I like how easy the site is to navigate.  There’s another new game in town now too, and that’s Linky Followers.

It’s very much like GFC in a lot of ways, it’s free, and it’s created by Brent Riggs, the mastermind behind Linky Tools, which lots of folks use for their weekly linky parties.  It’s easy to sign up and easy to use.
And I like that it shows you who your followers are, which is the one thing blog lovin’ doesn’t do that I wish it would.
However, I confess, I have two lingering questions about Linky Followers.
1. Why have my page view stats tripled since I signed up?
Literally.  Tripled.  But I don’t see those views reflected when I look at my traffic sources or individual post views.  I can’t figure out where they’re coming from…are they spammy?  Or genuine?  If they’re real, then run, don’t walk to sign up, guys!  But I’m just not sure that’s the case.  I’d love to know what causes it, especially since I’ve talked to a number of other bloggers who have noticed {and can’t explain} the same thing.
2. What’s going on with that mom and toddler in the photo on their homepage?
I mean, seriously.  Many of us are moms of young kids, and let’s face it…have you EVER been able to successfully read or post on a blog while your toddler was on your lap contentedly looking {just looking!} at your screen?  Not a chance.  {If you haven’t seen the pic yet, go check it out…I couldn’t find a way to copy and paste it.} I think we should all take photos of what that situation would REALLY look like and submit them so Mr. Riggs can choose his favorite.  You know, like where the screen is smeared with grape jelly and the child is screaming “Play with me, Mommy, PLAY WITH MEEEEE!”  Or where he rips the space bar off…yeah, LC did that once while we were Skyping with the in-laws
Seriously.  I don’t even know how they got that photo.  They must have been dangling a cookie right above the camera or something.  Must’ve been some major bribery going on there!
Anyway, those are my questions for the Linky folks.  What’s your take on them?  I’d love to hear your thoughts!  Oh, and if you follow me, please let me know so I can return the favor if you have a blog of your own!

16 comments on Follow, Follow, Follow, Follow….

1. Mlissabeth
    February 12, 2012 at 5:51 AM (2 years ago)

Just followed you on Linky. I am not sure how I got followers on my blog when I didn’t even have the button yet. Mysterious…

2. Jenny@NorthwestLovelies
    February 12, 2012 at 6:10 AM (2 years ago)

I agree! I had 6 followers before I signed up! Weird. I’ve also noticed a huge jump in page views that can’t really be accounted for… Interesting.

February 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM (2 years ago)

I totally agree. Huge jump in page views.

4. Jessica
    February 12, 2012 at 1:32 PM (2 years ago)

I signed up for linky and so far I’ve hated it. I haven’t found it easy to use and certainly not easy to understand at all. I too had followers before I even signed up, so I have a hard time believing it is accurate at all.

5. SheilaG @ Plum Doodles
    February 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM (2 years ago)

I’m now also Linky following you. It’s a great tool for organizing all your faves- I categorize mine according to blog hops, faves, niches, etc. Would love for you to stop by and Linky with me! :)

6. The Stuff of Success
    February 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM (2 years ago)

I was already a follower and email subscriber but now I am subscribing through Linky Follower. Please follow back at TheStuffOfSuccess – thanks and have a sparkling day. Athena

7. The mum of all trades
    February 12, 2012 at 6:19 PM (2 years ago)

Thank you for writing this post. I wasn’t aware that google friend was going. Great tip about the linky followers.

8. Vicky
    February 13, 2012 at 1:41 AM (2 years ago)

I am still in denial about GFC so I haven’t started anything else yet. I know I don’t want to do google+ but have to eventually. I will look into this further. Thanks for the info. Vicky from Mess For Less

9. The mum of all trades
    February 13, 2012 at 8:40 PM (2 years ago)

I can’t understand the huge increase in page views since joining up to linky. Just wondering if anyone has figured out what’s going on yet?

10. Jutta
    February 15, 2012 at 7:49 PM (2 years ago)

Have the same thing with the increased page views. am following you now on linky, would be great if you would like to follow back.
    love
    jutta

11. Susan D
    February 17, 2012 at 1:59 PM (2 years ago)

I have only just added linky, now following you. I’m going to see how it goes.

12. Susan D
    February 18, 2012 at 5:33 AM (2 years ago)

I’ve still got the same amount of followers but yes the amount of visit has jumped up. I only set it up yesterday and already in one day there was at least another 500 page views extra.

13. Kelly @ Here Comes the Sun
    February 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM (2 years ago)

Following you through Linky now! I recently added it to my site and have noticed a jump in page views as well.