Five Reasons I’m Smiling

Ok, ok, I admit it.
I’m still pouting.
That dropped touchdown pass followed by a missed field goal that meant my Ravens aren’t Super Bowl bound totally bums me out.  I keep telling myself “It’s just a game,” but so far it isn’t working…although this comment from Little Crafter did make me crack up.
LC: “Billy Cundiff missed a field goal.  Next time I will have to do it for him.  How do I get into the TV?”
Classic.  That’s the good stuff.  I decided that to cheer myself up and get out of my end-of-the-season funk, I’d focus on five reasons I have to smile today.
5. We had 268 links at this week’s Shine On Fridays party!  Yes, that means I did a happy dance…with Little Crafter, no less.
4. Yesterday, while we were having a “treat date” at the local coffeehouse, Little Crafter and I started playing a new game.  It’s called “I love you more than…” and it went something like this.
Me: I love you to the moon and back.

LC: I love you to the stars and back.

Me: I love you more than ice cream.

LC: I love you more than cookies.

Me: I love you more than going for treat dates.

LC: I love you more than going for breakfast dates.

Me: I love you more than movies.

LC: I love you more than movies.

Me: I love you more than Elmo.

LC: I love you more than Elmo.

Me: I love you more than Starbucks.

LC: Wow.  That’s a lot.

3. I have two couples already signed up to start taking dance lessons in February, and another who is supposed to get back to me with a date!
More and more, I keep feeling God confirming that He is blessing this!  Hooray!

2. A surprise iTunes Gift Card!
A few weeks ago, Tracy from Wickeddreamdesign on Etsy contacted me about doing some wire wrapping for me.  She sent me eight briolettes she wanted to use for making some gorgeous belly button rings.  The holes were reallly tiny, so I had to go get some super-thin wire, but I liked how they turned out.
Apparently, Tracy did too, because she surprised me by sending me an iTunes gift card above and beyond the payment we’d agreed on.  Woohoo!  You know a dancer can always use more music!
1. Baby M.
Remember our good friends, the M family?  Our crafting buddies?
Both Mr. O. and Princess E just celebrated their birthdays and we got to go to a fun monster themed party at their house.
But the best news is this…their mommy, who was due with baby #3 in April, had an emergency delivery on Monday due to the fact that there was no amniotic fluid left.  Little Mr. Miracle was only 1 lb 12 oz and at 29 weeks gestation, but he started crying and breathing on his own right away!
He’s a tiny little guy, which means there’s a long road ahead of him and a lot of time in the hospital while he gets big and strong enough to come home, but his mama says he’s still doing well.  If you, like me, believe in the amazing power of prayer, please say one {or lots} for this sweet little man and his mama and daddy.  God obviously has big plans for him!
What about you?  What’s your reason to smile today?

11 comments on Five Reasons I’m Smiling

1. Kara
    January 25, 2012 at 1:18 PM (3 years ago)

So happy Mr. Miracle lived! He is precious and God must have some amazing plans for his life! I am also loving all of Little Crafter’s cute things today. So so precious. :)

2. Carrie
    January 25, 2012 at 1:19 PM (3 years ago)

Glad to see you found 5 reasons to smile after the Ravens loss. My reason is a day with my sweet girl and doing crafts and free play. Do I need more? Oh, and I get a break this afternoon with our weekly babysitter. Normally I tutor on Wednesdays, but I haven’t heard from them this week, so I think I’ll get to sew!! Or organize my craft room. One or the other.

• Carrie
      January 25, 2012 at 1:21 PM (3 years ago)

Oh, and did I mention our local football team, the Patriots, are going to the Super Bowl. –Sorry I couldn’t resist, Amy. As you know I don’t really follow them, but it is always fun when they go.

3. Tara @ Tara Being Tara
    January 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM (3 years ago)

Isn’t it wonderful how one little thing can completely change your perspective? Let’s face it — it’s just more fun to be happy!!

4. Dianna
    January 25, 2012 at 3:56 PM (3 years ago)

I’d been wondering if you were from MD since you’re a Ravens fan – I am too! :) We’re a little closer to DC though in Silver Spring so we’ve always been fans of those dratted Redskins.

I love your new game with LC. I used to play something like it with my grandma although ours was non-verbal. We would be holding hands and she’d squeeze it three times which meant ‘I love you’ and I’d do two back meaning ‘how much?’ and she’d squeeze twice for ‘this much’ and then she’d squeeze my hand as hard as she could! It’s a nice memory

5. Corinne O'Sullivan
    January 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM (3 years ago)

I love you more than Starbucks! Hahah, I’m still laughing. That’s so cute.

Bless Baby M, he looks like a little fighter! My thoughts are with his parents. It’s a helpless feeling having to have your baby in a NICU! I hope he grows up nice and strong.

January 25, 2012 at 7:05 PM (3 years ago)

Great post. Too often we go whizzing by in our day and don’t stop to be grateful. Thanks for the reminder.

January 25, 2012 at 9:51 PM (3 years ago)

So many blessings…I love your new game…
    I agree with him…that is a lot… <3

8. Rebecca
    January 27, 2012 at 9:33 PM (3 years ago)

I just wanted to share with you that my son was 1 pound 5 ounces at 24 weeks gestation. He was in the hospital for 115 days and it was a difficult time for us but today he is a healthy, happy 8 year old! Before we would leave the NICU every night we would put a little tape recorder in his isolette every night before we left the hospital. One day when he was 2 1/2 he heard classical music and asked me what it was. I said “This type of music is called classical. It’s pretty isn’t it?” With his eyebrows scrunched, deep in thought he said “It sounds like God.” He also told me once that “God rock-a-byed me when I was a tiny baby.” I know every night we left our little guy there God was watching over him and by God’s mercy and grace, our miracle boy is a reading, writing, running, baseball playing, hunting, fishing, baking, crafting, big brother and we know we have been blessed. I will keep Baby M in my prayers! He will be fine! :)

-Rebecca

9. Shabby chic Sandy
    January 31, 2012 at 4:50 AM (3 years ago)

What a precious little one. Breathing on his own? Amazing. My reason to smile is everyday with my kids.