Turkeys and Thanks-giving

Hey, friends!
I hope you’re all excited about the new {Our} Home for the Holidays series!  I know I am!  I’m really looking forward to reading about so many fun traditions, projects, recipes, and crafts.  I know today is Jen’s day to share with you, but I couldn’t resist giving you a peek at a new tradition we’re starting this year with Little Crafter.  I wanted to show you before we get too far into November just in case you want to do a variation of it too!
“Thanks Giving” Turkey
I’ve seen a lot of clever ideas online for ways to count down to Thanksgiving and count your blessings at the same time.  This is our version.  I drew a simple turkey body, cut it out, and let Little Crafter glue on the beak, feet, and red-hangy-down-thingy {what in the world is that thing called?!}.
We hung it on the wall at Little Crafter height.  Each day we cut out a new “feather,” put the date on it, and write down something he is thankful for.  The first day, he told me he was thankful for “the shoebox for the little boy and the little girl that we made.”  {See Operation Christmas Child if you missed that…}  How cool is that?  The first thing he thinks to be grateful for is something he did for someone else?  Gosh, I love this kid!  Then, it was Clifford and his blocks.  Finally, yesterday and today Mommy and Daddy made the list.  I can’t wait to see what he comes up with next!  By Thanksgiving day, we’ll have 24 feathers that we can read off when we say a special prayer thanking God for our blessings before we eat.

I am loving this because it helps LC count the days to Thanksgiving {time is always a tricky thing for toddlers, and this gives him a tangible way to measure it}…and of course because it helps us to focus on gratitude!
Here are a few other variations on the same kind of idea that you could try:
Here’s one made by Alexis over at We Like to Learn as We Go!  Each member of her family is encouraged to add a feather a day.  Isn’t he cute?
Mom on Timeout chose a tree in lieu of a turkey.  The whole family participates, and rather than adding one blessing a day, they post a leaf anytime they think of something they’re grateful for.  My favorite part is that each family member has his or her own color leaf, so you can see at a glance whose blessings are whose.
Both of these projects are shared at the {Our} Home for the Holidays party…be sure to check out the other great ideas linked up already and to share your holiday ideas with us too!  The party is open through the new year, so come back often!
Happy Giving Thanks,

15 comments on Turkeys and Thanks-giving

1. Jamie
    November 5, 2011 at 2:18 PM (2 years ago)

Oh I love that giving thanks turkey! I’ve heard of another idea. Let’s see if I can remember.

There are 5 types of prayer. Hmmm… thanksgiving, petitions, adoration, contrition and love. You can make one of those finger turkeys with each finger representing one of those types of prayers to help the child learn or think of an example of each. Maybe I’ll write a blog post about it! :o )

Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

2. Angela
    November 5, 2011 at 2:37 PM (2 years ago)

Those are all so cute. I love crafting with my two year old. We’ll definitely be making one of those.

3. Lori @ La-La's Home Daycare
    November 5, 2011 at 2:47 PM (2 years ago)

I love this craft, it gives the kids a chance to think about what they are Thankful for!

Thanks for sharing!

Lori

November 5, 2011 at 5:21 PM (2 years ago)

Oh I love this idea and how super cute is it that LC picked the Operation Christmas box as his first item. Priceless.

5. Alexis @ we like to learn as we go
    November 5, 2011 at 8:26 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks for featuring my thankful turkey! It’s one of my favorite things about Thanksgiving. I’m glad you’re doing one too! Have fun!

6. MiMi
    November 5, 2011 at 8:47 PM (2 years ago)

Aw, that’s so cute! And I think the hangy down red thing is called a waddle? Or wattle? Or something.

7. Carrie
    November 6, 2011 at 1:56 AM (2 years ago)

Thank you for sharing at Crafty Moms Share! We are doing watercolored leaves hung on our French doors this year with a new thing we are thankful for each day.

8. AmieAnn
    November 7, 2011 at 9:53 PM (2 years ago)

Soo stinkin adorable! Love the little turkeys!
    Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party.. can’t wait to see what you share next!

9. Brooke @ Let Kids Create
    November 11, 2011 at 7:15 AM (2 years ago)

What a fun way to count your blessings. Thanks for sharing on Monday Madness!

10. Melanie @ bear rabbit bear
    November 11, 2011 at 5:43 PM (2 years ago)

Love the turkeys!! Thanks for linking to Things I’ve Done Thursday!

Melanie
    Sew Rugged @ bear rabbit bear
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

11. Carrie
    November 12, 2011 at 11:07 PM (2 years ago)

Thank you for sharing at Crafty Moms Share!

12. Laura @Art For Little Hands
    November 13, 2011 at 11:42 PM (2 years ago)

What a great idea! I love that you do it every day until thanksgiving. He is a delightful boy to. You are doing a good job! Thanks for sharing at Monday Madness. Hope to see you again tomorrow.