Salt Dough Ornaments: Learn from my mistakes!

Let me tell ya, we are really starting to get into the holiday spirit here in the Artsy Family!  Little Crafter and I have been busy little elves all month long.  We’ve been making and buying gifts in the hopes of being finished by Thanksgiving so that we can just enjoy the holidays, focus on their meanings, and experience all the joy and family time they bring.  Recently, we decided to be bold and adventurous and try our hand at salt dough ornaments!
I’d never worked with salt dough before, but Mom on Timeout had a great tutorial back in July and it looked easy enough.  Naturally, I pinned it {what else would I do with a great idea?!} and saved it as an idea for ornament making with my Little Crafter.
***I learned something important from our experience: just because something looks easy doesn’t mean you can’t screw it up!  So, I’m going to show you not just the pretty perfect blog tutorial, but how our process really went.  Take a look, have a laugh, learn from my mistakes, and have fun making some personal ornaments of your own!***
EASY PEASY {if you follow directions} SALT DOUGH ORNAMENTS
You’ll need:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup lukewarm water
cookie sheets and parchment paper
cookie cutters
Optional:
acrylic paints
paint brushes
glitter
clear sealer
STEP 1: Add flour and salt to your bowl.  SLOWLY add water, stirring until dough forms.
Mistake 1: Ok, so here’s what happened.  When I skimmed Mom On Timeout’s directions, I apparently missed the part about adding the water slowly.  I just dumped it all in and we started stirring and stirring…and stirring.  The next step is to knead the dough for 10 minutes.  But what we had was the consistency of cake batter.  How do you knead batter?  So, genius me decides that maybe it means to stir for ten minutes and the dough will eventually form {this is why I normally post crafts, not recipes}.  Eventually, it became obvious that no, that was not the case.
Even LC knew something wasn’t right.  This makes me laugh…it’s like he’s saying, “Seriously, Mom?  This isn’t dough.”  Soooo, I went back to the original post and realized my mistake.  We dumped out the first batch and started from scratch, with Little Crafter telling me, “Do it right this time, ok, Mommy?  Make it doughy.  Put the water in slow.” {yes, he really said that}
STEP 2: Knead dough for 10 minutes.
My helper, despite what you see here, did not enjoy this part because “It makes my hands too meffy.”
He absolutely hates having anything on his hands…just like Daddy.
STEP 3: Let dough sit for 40 minutes.
STEP 4: Roll out dough to about 1/4″ thickness and cut out shapes.  Place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.  Poke holes in the tops of each shape if you are making ornaments.
Mistake 2: At this point, we hadn’t gotten out the rolling pin or cookie cutters yet.  Hey, we had time, right?  So the timer beeps to tell us 40 minutes have passed, and I realize that I can only find two cookie cutters; a train and a gingerbread man.  Which is apparently unacceptable to a little boy who wants stars and snowflakes and mittens too.  We have more somewhere, I know this.  But they’re nowhere to be found.  I call hubby, who says that his best guess is that they’re packed away in one of the Christmas boxes.  Which are in a closet under the steps, allll the way in the back.  Behind and under things I couldn’t move if I wanted to.  Poop.  I decide we should run to Walmart and grab a few more.  Meanwhile, Little Crafter is terrified with a capital T of Walmart because they sell those awful Baby Alive dolls which make him scream incessantly.  Last year he walked past one and the motion sensor made it start talking and crying…he’s been traumatized ever since.  So now that they’re out again for Christmas, he won’t go in Walmart.  Sigh.  We go to the grocery store where six cookie cutters cost us more than $8.  Mama fail.
 STEP 5: Bake at 250 for 4-6 hours.
This is to get all the moisture out of them.  I flipped them twice, after about an hour or so each time.  Ours seemed really hard and dry after the 4 hour point, and my grandmother {who was visiting at the time} declared them done, so out of the oven they came!
STEP 6: Decorate!
This was the part a certain someone looked forward to all day long!  It’s really an extended project; we started it at 8:30ish in the morning and didn’t finish until 9:00 PM…and even then only half of them were painted!  Little Crafter adamantly wanted to finish them all in one sitting, but we managed to convince him that it was twice as fun if he got to do it again the next day.
I was excited that he told me I could paint three of them: a snowflake, a mitten, and a gingerbread man.
Here’s my gingy:
STEP 7: Seal with clear acrylic spray.  Add ribbon or cord for hangers when dry.
Have you ever made salt dough ornaments?  Or are you going to give it a try this year?  Our first batch yielded 26 ornaments for us, and since we already had the ingredients on hand {well, except for the cookie cutters} you can’t beat the price!  I think these will look adorable tied onto gift packages this year!  By the way, I’ll give you three guesses what Little Crafter’s favorite color is…
And believe it or not, he convinced me that we needed to make another batch less than a week later.  This time, I tried another technique too, using some clean rubber stamps to stamp some messages into the dough before baking.  I found that the alphabet stamps worked best and the ones with small cursive fonts were tougher to read.  I really like the effect though!  Here are some painted by Little Crafter {with a little mama-assistance on the detail work}.  He’s really getting good at doing the base coat though, and he loves choosing which ornament and color he wants next.
Here are a few of the stamped ones that I painted:
Guess which one a certain helper claimed right away?
{and yes, that’s rosemary, not pine.  work with me…use your imagination :) }
{P.S. Added 11-25-13… If you haven’t already, don’t forget to click here and vote for me, Amy Davidson Latta, to help me get one step closer to becoming one of Lucky Magazine/P&G Beauty’s New Voices of Beauty! You can vote every day through Dec. 6. Thanks so much for your continued support, friends!}

23 comments on Salt Dough Ornaments: Learn from my mistakes!

1. Brooke Anna @ Mommy Does...
    November 21, 2011 at 11:29 AM (2 years ago)

I really love this idea!
    Have you thought about joining a handmade ornament exchange? You should!
    PS- I’ve been meaning to do this- so it’s inevitable now that I’ve seen this tutorial!

2. Lish
    November 21, 2011 at 12:22 PM (2 years ago)

I love it when bloggers show the real steps!LOL…they turned out really well though..and it does look pretty simple..I’m going to try this sometime this week! Thanks Amy!

3. Carrie @ My Favorite Finds
    November 21, 2011 at 12:51 PM (2 years ago)

I’m SOOOO glad I didn’t make salt dough ornaments this weekend, like I was going to. Thanks sooo much for sharing your mess ups. I probably would’ve just dumped the water in, too. Thanks! This will be my Thanksgiving break project….my list is getting longer!

4. Carrie
    November 21, 2011 at 1:42 PM (2 years ago)

Beautiful!! I was thinking of doing some of these with Hazel or maybe the applesauce cinnamon ones I have seen on pinterest. Yours look great!!

5. Trish@MomOnTimeout
    November 21, 2011 at 3:08 PM (2 years ago)

I’m so glad you shared this! I think mabye I should have made add water slowly part of the tutroial in bold :) Yours came out great and I love your little penguin!

6. Jen@thecraftingfiend
    November 21, 2011 at 3:30 PM (2 years ago)

just made the dough! Thanks for posting this and reminding me what fun these are to do! I’m thinking my girl and I are in for a fun filled day with this craft!

7. Amanda Joy
    November 21, 2011 at 4:14 PM (2 years ago)

You crack me up! I LOVE that picture of LC, the look of “Really” is too funny. I love how these turned out, I need to make something like this my kids soon:)

November 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM (2 years ago)

Well I guess you are the resident expert now on these little babies. Fortunately they turned out so nice in the end. It would have been heartbreaking to go through all of that without a nice end result. Love the rosemary – good thinking for staging your shot, lol.

9. Jamie
    November 21, 2011 at 8:25 PM (2 years ago)

VERY cute! I just saw another post about these kind of adorbz ornaments. Maybe I should try them…

Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

10. Rose @ Walnut Acre
    November 21, 2011 at 8:50 PM (2 years ago)

Every year I tell myself we are going to make these. Hopefully this year we actually do it. Yours turned out very cute.

11. The mum of all trades
    November 21, 2011 at 9:56 PM (2 years ago)

We love salt dough here! You are really in the festive spirit, these are so pretty and your little one looks like he is having so much fun.

12. Crafty Mischief
    November 22, 2011 at 6:41 AM (2 years ago)

These turned out so cute! I found you through The Girl Creative. Thanks for sharing!

13. Vanessa
    November 22, 2011 at 4:29 PM (2 years ago)

Hi, Amy

I love your new Christmas ornaments. They look great. I found your blog from Tip Junkie link party. Enjoy looking around. I am a new follower. Happy Thanksgiving. Would love for you to stop by http://www.homesweetbutterfly.com

Vanessa

14. Carrie
    November 27, 2011 at 12:46 AM (2 years ago)

Amy, thank you for sharing them at Crafty Moms Share. Yours came out much nicer than ours, but I am happy with what Hazel did and they are now on the tree.

15. Lori @ La-La's Home Daycare
    November 27, 2011 at 2:27 PM (2 years ago)

Those came out great! Love the idea of painting then and using the stamps!

Thanks for sharing,
    Lori

16. Laura @Art For Little Hands
    November 28, 2011 at 3:05 AM (2 years ago)

Despite the problems these came out super cute. I made salt dough stuff the other day too and we had read you can dry them by leaving them out overnight. Ours just fell apart so I guess we did something wrong too! I love your paint work on all of them, but especially the featured penguin. Thanks for sharing on Monday Madness.

17. Melanie @ bear rabbit bear
    November 28, 2011 at 2:15 PM (2 years ago)

Ha! Love this- the end result was great. :) Thanks for linking to Things I’ve Done Thursday- featuring this tomorrow!

Melanie
    Sew Rugged @ bear rabbit bear
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

18. Mindie Hilton
    December 1, 2011 at 4:27 AM (2 years ago)

Featuring on Thursday at Bacon Time. :)

19. The Nortons
    November 24, 2012 at 9:27 PM (1 year ago)

Thanks for the tutorial, it looks fun! I found you on Red Tricycle.

20. Four Marrs and One Venus
    November 28, 2012 at 4:21 PM (1 year ago)

Oh LC got this one DOWN! He is so stinkin’ cute! Thanks for hooking up all your goods over at the No Rules Christmas Party girl!!
    Jen

21. Our Pinteresting Family
    November 29, 2012 at 5:00 AM (1 year ago)

They are such a great idea for a kids project. Thank you so much for sharing your tips. Megan

22. ELIZABETH O'BRIEN
    December 11, 2012 at 1:00 AM (1 year ago)

Thank you for the insight into the real salt dough adventures. This will be my first year making them and I couldnt get over the fact is just seemed too easy! Glad to know nothing goes as planned but it all turns out great in the end. Thank you and merry Christmas