Homemade Holiday Gifts: #2

Hi, friends!  If you missed yesterday’s post, this week I’m sharing my top five ideas for Homemade Holiday Gifts!  Here’s what we have so far:
1. Handmade Ornaments
2. Personal Photos
A framed photo can be such a treasure.  I’ve found that grandparents and great-grandparents in particular just can’t get enough of them!  And if you’ve got some photo shop skills, adding a few effects and some text makes them extra special.  One thing you can do is take a cute photo of your child{ren} and put memorable information on it to summarize their year.
Adding a meaningful quote or definition turns an ordinary photo into a one-of-a-kind keepsake.
  As an alternative to simply framing the picture, you can mod podge it onto a painted wooden plaque like this one and turn it into a piece of unique home decor.  You can do anything from a 4×6 up to a large wall hanging.   See here for a full step-by-step tutorial of how I made this one.
Another alternative to a traditional frame is to turn a photo into personalized jewelry See here for how to do it yourself!
If you want to get your own Little Crafter{s} involved, get some wooden frames at your local craft store and let them go to town with acrylic paints.  This frame cost $1 at Michaels…definitely within the budget!  You can’t beat an adorable kid photo in a frame he or she decorated!
And, one last idea to involve the littlest of hands, frame a special photo side by side with a piece of a child’s artwork.  This is one of Little Crafter’s first fingerpaintings.  A crayon drawing or any other kind of art works too!

Finally, you can use your photos to make a memorable keepsake wall or desk calendar.  Walmart.com, Snapfish.com, and lots of other photo sites make it very easy to upload your photos and create a one-of-a-kind calendar that I guarantee will be a hit with doting grandparents everywhere.  My personal favorite site to use is Mixbook.  Their layouts are just gorgeous, and they often run sales and specials, so watch for those!
Photographs are such treasures to begin with, and adding any of these personal touches makes them an even more meaningful gift that anyone would love to receive.  What’s your most treasured photo?
Come back tomorrow for another fun homemade gift idea, and don’t forget to share your projects at the {Our} Home for the Holidays party!

PS – I am thrilled to be guest posting at Katie’s Nesting Spot today with a simple jewelry tutorial!  I’d love for you to go visit me there too!

13 comments on Homemade Holiday Gifts: #2

1. Carrie @ My Favorite Finds
    November 15, 2011 at 1:17 PM (3 years ago)

I LOVE giving photo gifts. My LOVE photo frame is always a hit, and i recently mod podged photo onto canvas and it turned out awesome!

2. Jamie
    November 15, 2011 at 3:22 PM (3 years ago)

Oh I LOVE the necklace frames and the modge podge wooden plaque! I want to do some pinning in this post, if you don’t mind!! :o )

Keep the great ideas comin’!!

Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

3. Jamie Lynn
    November 15, 2011 at 3:44 PM (3 years ago)

What a great post! I actually LOVED it all! Cute necklace and I already have the wooden ornaments- I’m going to modge podge pictures of my girls on it with paper! So cute! Thanks for the nice post.
    Jamie
    lovelongtime.blogspot.com

4. I am LOVD
    November 15, 2011 at 5:59 PM (3 years ago)

So many ideas all in one post, impressive and great job!

5. Emily
    November 15, 2011 at 7:18 PM (3 years ago)

What great ideas! Thanks for sharing them, I love the quote on the photo!

6. Hedva
    November 16, 2011 at 7:07 PM (3 years ago)

Great ideas. The possibilities with photo gifts are endless.

I made photo cubes to my parents as a thank you gift after my wedding (but it can be a wonderful Christmas gift too) – 4 wooden cubes, on each side you glue a photo. They can play with them and get a new home decor every day.

Thanks for a lovely post

7. Shabby chic Sandy
    November 17, 2011 at 9:08 AM (3 years ago)

Great ideas! My Mom says her favorite gift is handmade photo items!

8. Katalina Jewelry
    November 18, 2011 at 3:05 PM (3 years ago)

Great ideas. Love the Me at Three photo!

9. {Junk in their Trunk}
    November 18, 2011 at 6:51 PM (3 years ago)

I absolutely love this idea!! I would love for you to come link up at our link party…junkintheirtrunk.blogspot.com/2011/11/link-it-up-wednesday-3.html

10. D+B
    November 21, 2011 at 2:41 AM (3 years ago)

what a cute blog. I found you on the link parties.I am your newest follower.

-Brooke
    blushboutiquestyle.blogspot.com

11. airline contact numbers
    September 8, 2012 at 11:24 AM (2 years ago)

I love your homemade ornaments! I especially liked the ones that were see through and that you put memories from the year in. What an awesome idea! I need to think ahead and do some of these ideas next year. Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Madness.
    airlines contact numbers