"Pin"spired Popsicle Stick Scarecrows

Are you enjoying Kids’ Activity Week so far?  I just love seeing all the fantastic ideas for fun things to do with the kiddos {or to do yourself while they’re napping…heehee}.
Anyway, in keeping with the theme, here’s yet another Fall themed project Little Crafter and I whipped up.
While browsing through some kid-centered link parties, this image caught my eye.  Well, actually it caught the eye of Little Crafter first, who was sitting on my lap and looking at the pictures with me.
Mandi, aka the Boredom Busting Mommy, made these cute scarecrows with her equally cute sons.  Little Crafter took one look, pointed at the picture, and declared, “I want to make dat.  Today, Mommy.  I want to make it right now.“   Unfortunately for him, we had other plans for the day, but I did the next best thing.  Pinned it.  Later, I went back and checked out Mandi’s great step by step photos of her sons creating their masterpieces.  The next day, we gathered our supplies and made our own.
POPSICLE STICK SCARECROW MAGNETS
You’ll need:
Popsicle sticks {ours are the miniature kind, and took 8 per scarecrow}
Craft foam
Adhesive foam shapes or stickers
Pipe cleaners
Googly Eyes
Pom-Poms
Permanent Marker
Craft glue
Scissors
Magnetic tape or buttons
We actually had every last one of these things in the art room already…I didn’t have to buy a single thing to make these little guys!  That’s my kind of craft.  The eyes, pipe cleaners, and pom-poms all came from our good old Ultimate Fuzzy Kit, which, along with the magentic buttons, were provided by Craftprojectideas.com.  I have to say, that Ultimate Fuzzy Kit has been my our absolute favorite of all the fun supplies we received because it’s just so multi-purpose!  We’ve used it for four separate projects already and it contains the kind of things you always want to have on hand if you’re crafting with little ones.
Anyway, here’s what to do:
STEP 1: Line up 6 popsicle sticks vertically and glue two more sticks across them horizontally to hold them together.
STEP 2: Cut out hat shape from craft foam, decorate, and glue in place.
STEP 3: Cut pipecleaners for hair, glue in place.
STEP 4: Decorate face as desired.
STEP 5: Attach magnet.
They’re quick and easy and even the littlest hands can help {although I confess we had a meltdown when we were making the second one…after asking him three times to glue the eyes on and getting no cooperation, I put them in place, which caused colossal tears along with, “I wanted to glue the eyes, Mommy, I wanted to do it…Waaaaaah….IIIIII wanted to glue the eyyyyyes, Momm-eeeeeeeeeeeeee!”}  Note to self: Do not attempt to craft ten minutes before naptime.
Meltdown aside, it really was a fun project and I think they turned out pretty darn cute!  Thanks, Mandi, for the inspiration.  Now, let’s see all the cute kiddo projects you have up your sleeve!
Oh, and don’t forget to enter the Craftprojectideas giveaway, going on now, to win a Halloween Melty Bead Kit!  You’re gonna love it!

18 comments on "Pin"spired Popsicle Stick Scarecrows

October 10, 2011 at 12:15 PM (3 years ago)

I couldn’t help but think today,…where do you store all of this awesome stuff you two make? Another great project.

2. Icentric
    October 10, 2011 at 12:32 PM (3 years ago)

Your article provide us a great knowledge.
    Waiting for your next edition

3. Carmella
    October 10, 2011 at 12:57 PM (3 years ago)

Despite the little meltdown…hehehe these turned out sooo cute! Another great project from you and your little crafter :)

4. Jamie
    October 10, 2011 at 1:38 PM (3 years ago)

Oh how cute! What a great idea!! :o ) Do you happen to know who had the Pumpkin Craft link party? I linked up to your Fall Crafts blog hop, but I thought there was another one…? Pumpkin Specific?

Have a great day!

Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

5. Melanie @ bear rabbit bear
    October 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM (3 years ago)

Super cute! Thanks for linking to Things I’ve Done Thursday!

Melanie
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

6. Audrey
    October 15, 2011 at 3:07 PM (3 years ago)

Love how yours turned out! I think I will make these with my boys today (minus the meltdown, I hope! :)

7. Tonia @ TheGunnySack.com
    October 15, 2011 at 4:28 PM (3 years ago)

What a great way to make scarecrows! I love that there are so many fun ways to popsicle sticks! Thanks for sharing this at my What’s In The Gunny Sack? link party!

8. Brooke @ Let Kids Create
    October 16, 2011 at 3:40 AM (3 years ago)

Such cute little scarecrows, we started some a pumpkin craft similar to this (we saw it on pinterest) but the kids lost interest. So they are half done, so I can relate to the little meltdown. Thanks for sharing this with us on Monday Madness!

9. Lori @ La-La's Home Daycare
    October 16, 2011 at 1:27 PM (3 years ago)

Oh these are adorable! Love this idea!

Thanks for sharing with the Holiday Kid Craft Link Up!

10. Joyce @Dinosaurs And Octopuses
    October 17, 2011 at 6:10 AM (3 years ago)

They turned out so cute! Those meltdowns can happen at any time, can’t they? Hehe. I don’t really get melt downs anymore, but he still does his fair share of pouting if things dont go his way. We love magnets here. We’ve recently made a batch for Halloween. You might be interested because it would be a great two part craft that you could stretch out. We made them out of salt dough one day and then painted them the next so it wasn’t overwhelming. If you are interested, heres the link.

11. April's Homemaking
    October 17, 2011 at 2:48 PM (3 years ago)

So cute! I love these little scarecrows- this is a great fall craft! Thanks for sharing! ~April