Falling for Crafts Challenge #7: Holiday Fun!

I have a confession to make.  I hate Halloween.  I really do.  Even as a child, the only part I liked was dressing up {some things never change…I still enjoy getting in costume!}.  I don’t like to be scared and I don’t like disgusting or gory things.  Not to mention that as a Jesus-follower, the whole thing just doesn’t feel quite right.  I know we’re the minority, but hubby feels the same way.  Which is why we celebrate a little differently.  We still dress up {albeit reluctantly for the hubs}, and we still take Little Crafter trick-or-treating, but instead of focusing on ghosts and witches and goblins, we do our own version of El Dia de los Muertos, which is how they celebrate in Mexico.  Instead of being scary, it’s a sweet, special time to remember loved ones who have passed away by telling stories, eating foods, and doing activities that remind you of those people.
More on that later.
In the meantime, since we’re just days away from Halloween, I figure that the challenge for this week should be open to all things related to the holiday.  So, the theme for Challenge #7 is:
Holiday Fun
You can share your costume ideas, yummy treats or treat bags, decorations, pumpkins, whatever you want.  But if you really love me, you’ll spare me the gross and scary things and stick to cute ones.
And if you’re like us and celebrate a little differently, I’d love for you to link up your own unique traditions.
Here are a few things I’ve seen around the web that might inspire you:
Even I will admit that this thumbprint Halloween art from Sweet and Lovely Crafts is cute.  A great project for Little Crafters everywhere!
Freshly Completed has a great fool-proof way to win a pumpkin carving contest…carve the judge’s face right into it!  Just tweak the photo in Picnik {she shows you how} to make it a carving template, and voila!  This is the face of her bishop…
Lindsay over at Diary of a Crafty Lady made these adorable dragon hoodies for her daughters!  Little Crafter was determined to be a dragon this year, and this would have been a great way to do his costume. {Instead, he saw one in Old Navy that he fell in LOVE with and there was just no leaving the store without it}.  Anyway, this is a cute, easy costume that will make any little guy or girl roar with excitement!
Greene Acres Hobby Farm has a great recipe for pumpkin dip/pumpkin pudding using cool whip, pudding mix, and pumpkin!
Well, that’s about all the Halloween this girl can handle…and that pumpkin dip is making me hungry.  I’m going to go get a snack, you go get busy posting about your holiday fun and link it up here!
Pretty Please…
- post my party button somewhere on your blog so others can come play too!
- stick around and visit at least two or three of the other projects
Feel free to link up as many times as you like!  No commercial sites, please.

One Artsy Mama
Have fun!  Can’t wait to see what you make {unless it’s gross. ;) }
Happy Crafting, guys!

27 comments on Falling for Crafts Challenge #7: Holiday Fun!

October 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM (2 years ago)

I’m with you on the Halloween front. These days we live so far out in the country that nobody even knocks on our door anymore (which is okay with me because the dogs would always go crazy, ugh). So,…..this will be tricky, but I might just be up for cute Halloween. ;)

2. Toaster4JC
    October 27, 2011 at 7:36 PM (2 years ago)

I’m glad we’re not the only ones alone in the “we don’t feel comfortable celebrating Halloween” crowd. I just can’t, as a Christian, justify having a holiday that celebrates the devil :/. Glad we’re not alone in that regard. I do like to dress up though so we’ll see maybe when our little one is here, we’ll do a harvest party or something to celebrate the fall season but not the master of lies.

3. Diane
    October 27, 2011 at 7:52 PM (2 years ago)

I feel just like you when it comes to the gorey party of Halloween. I like cutesy Ÿ

I joined your link party, but it isn’t Halloween. It is Thanksgiving, but I’m so ready to put out my T’giving stuff Ÿ

I also placed your button on my blog. Thanks for hosting.

4. Love Sweet Love
    October 27, 2011 at 8:22 PM (2 years ago)

Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog AND for the invite! I kinda love all things Halloween, but love making the cutesy stuff with my kids! I linked up a few of my favorite Halloween projects this year :)
    Angela

5. Carrie
    October 27, 2011 at 9:04 PM (2 years ago)

I see Halloween as a fun day for children, but somehow it is becoming more and more an adult holiday. I don’t get it. I have never really liked it either, but enjoy the idea of dressing my daughter up and taking her to friends, family and neighbors for trick-or-treating, but that is really it. I don’t go for all the spooky stuff with it.

6. Phil and Darby Hawley
    October 27, 2011 at 9:13 PM (2 years ago)

I couldn’t agree more! I don’t what it is about Halloween, but I just don’t like it. Thank you for posting a whole-some link up party :-)

7. Tricia
    October 27, 2011 at 9:31 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks for the comment and invite! I also linked up the fall garland I made this year…more fall-ish than Halloween-y for you!

8. Kelli @ The Turquoise Piano
    October 27, 2011 at 10:41 PM (2 years ago)

I really love Halloween time (the weather, corn mazes, yummy fall food, etc.) but as far as decorating goes, I’m more into just fall decor. I love dressing up and a good party too. I linked up a few things I did and left out a man’s torso made of jello to spare you the gore. ;) Thanks for hosting!

9. MiMi
    October 27, 2011 at 10:42 PM (2 years ago)

The only thing I ever liked about Halloween was free candy. We like to focus on the “cute” side and the super hero costumes. Not the scary stuff. My kids don’t like scary stuff anyway.
    But I’ve had that pumpkin dip beore and it was good.

10. Erin
    October 27, 2011 at 11:15 PM (2 years ago)

Remind me to tell you about the one and only time I’ve ever gone trick-or-treating as a little girl…scarred for life ;) We’ve never done Halloween either, for the same reasons…but we do enjoy a good pumpkin carving!

11. {Steph}
    October 28, 2011 at 12:56 AM (2 years ago)

We are in the same boat, Amy. We don’t “do” Halloween either. We’re Christians as well & our church has an annual Candy Carnival for the kids. They all dress up in cute & fun (not scary) costumes & play games to “win” candy. This year the church is combining the candy carnival with a fall festival for the adults. Some ladies (including me) are setting up booths to have a craft fair & lunch will be served. I’ll be selling my handmade cards at my booth.

I like your ideas about celebrating the Mexican way. Much nicer. :)

12. Beth
    October 28, 2011 at 1:10 AM (2 years ago)

Amy,

I resonate with you. I am a fall decorations person & then I am ready for Thanksgiving/Christmas. We too are believers and do no t like celebrating things the Bible deems as wicked (witches, etc). So thank you for keeping it clean =-) Happy un-halloween to you =-)
    Beth

13. Michelle
    October 28, 2011 at 1:27 AM (2 years ago)

Thanks so much for the pumpkin dip feature. You made my day! I love all the great ideas on the Halloween/Holiday party link-up.

14. Jamie
    October 28, 2011 at 5:31 AM (2 years ago)

As a Catholic, I totally agree with you!! We celebrate in a Christian, fun way – no witches, ghosts or satanism in this house!!!!

I am hoping to link up to your awesome hop tomorrow. :o )

Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

15. Janelle
    October 28, 2011 at 5:23 PM (2 years ago)

Thank you so much for hosting and inviting me to link up!

Janelle
    homemadethisandthat.blogspot.com

16. Amanda K @ Every Creative Endeavor
    October 28, 2011 at 6:52 PM (2 years ago)

Thank you for your sweet comment – I added my pumpkin! There are a lot of great projects to go visit! Thanks!

17. Gina
    October 28, 2011 at 7:43 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks for visiting my blog & inviting me. Thanks for hosting!

18. Simply AJ
    October 28, 2011 at 8:20 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks for hosting! I found your blog by way of Bear Rabbit Bear. AJ@queenofmynest

19. Sarah
    October 28, 2011 at 8:51 PM (2 years ago)

I just linked up! I am sooo with you. My hubby & I don’t love Halloween. The only decor in our home is pumpkin stuff & our kids are fun/ cute things for Halloween.

20. Hollie - TheSevenYearCottage
    October 28, 2011 at 11:12 PM (2 years ago)

I’m definitely all about the cute stuff and not into the gore and guts… thanks for hosting!

21. Suzy Myers
    October 30, 2011 at 2:48 AM (2 years ago)

Thanks so much for the invitation!

suzy

22. rebekahdawn
    October 31, 2011 at 6:29 PM (2 years ago)

Thanks for stopping by my blog and the invite!
    Totally agree with you on Halloween stuff — ICK!
    Love pumpkins, though! ;)

23. Shiloh
    October 31, 2011 at 6:34 PM (2 years ago)

I’m definitely not a Halloween person either. We’re not going to promote or encourage it in our house as our kids grow up. I don’t have anything to link up this week. Nothing remotely Halloweenish, but I’ll be back next week.:)

24. Jamie
    October 31, 2011 at 8:42 PM (2 years ago)

Thank you for inviting me. I’m all linked up and added your party to my linky page.

25. Omi S. and her dog, Bender Oak Cannon
    November 1, 2011 at 12:52 AM (2 years ago)

Hey! Thanks for asking me to share on your awesome blog party.

I used to love Halloween, but for the past couple years, it’s been very blah, and not really fun.

I don’t have any kids (maybe my attitude will change when I have kids), and many of my friends use Halloween as an excuse to over-party or do really, well, dumb stuff.

I tried to make Halloween fun for me and my dog. At least it’s a pleasant, fun smile for people to see a silly dog, and fun for them to learn that I make him costumes. I like crafting for my dog and my fiancee, so now Halloween is an excuse to get crafty!

26. Jessica
    November 2, 2011 at 4:54 AM (2 years ago)

Your blog is adorable! I am your newest follower.