P is for Preschool

We’re still busy learning about Fall here in One Artsy Mama-land.  Little Crafter has decided that he wants to do Preschool activities pretty much constantly, which keeps me on my toes!  I’m always looking for a variety of ideas that will give him a chance to practice different skills, and I love finding things he can do pretty independently.  I’m also especially fond of projects that are free, like this one!
FALL TREE COLLAGE
All you need to make this fun, festive tree is:
a magazine
a glue stick
scissors
a piece of paper or cardstock
That’s it!  We had all those things laying around already, so it didn’t cost us a penny!
First, we flipped through the magazine and it was Little Crafter’s job to point out anything he saw that was red, orange, yellow, or brown.  Which was pretty easy…we were using the September issue of Lucky, so there were lots fall clothes, purses, and all kinds of other things in those colors!  I cut leaf shapes and we used a giant photo of a brown boot to cut out a trunk.
We glued the trunk to our cardstock, then Little Crafter glued all the leaves wherever he wanted them.
He did a good job with the glue stick and was able to do this pretty much all by himself.
It was even his idea to put a few leaves on the ground like they had fallen off…”after all, Mommy, that’s what leaves do!”  This was a fun project and gave him a chance to practice color recognition as well as motor skills, and it was perfect for our unit about seasons and fall.  I’ve had a few people ask to see some picture of our little “classroom,” which is really just a corner of our basement…here it is:
And, speaking of Fall, don’t forget about our new challenge for the week; Door Decor!
Have a great day!
PS – Don’t forget, only one more day to enter the NINE giveaways!

17 comments on P is for Preschool

September 24, 2011 at 1:00 PM (3 years ago)

I love his tree and his little school room…He is one lucky little guy…

September 24, 2011 at 5:51 PM (3 years ago)

Your schoolroom is so nice. I’m sure that red really gets you guys in the mood for learning. Love it.

3. MiMi
    September 24, 2011 at 11:33 PM (3 years ago)

Aww, that’s very cute! :)

4. little macaroon.
    September 25, 2011 at 9:02 AM (3 years ago)

This is a great idea! I have a stack of old magazines, so I can’t wait to think up various ways we can make them into something prettier – thanks! (linking through gingerbreadblog)

5. Lori @ La-La's Home Daycare
    September 25, 2011 at 5:29 PM (3 years ago)

Oh Oh this is beautiful! I know we will do this craft! Thanks for sharing, but how could you not. You have bragging rights on a beautiful craft!

6. Stephanie
    September 27, 2011 at 3:05 PM (3 years ago)

This is such a great idea! My daughter and I were planning a craft for this afternoon…we’ll be making this!! Thanks for the inspiration!

7. Aimee from Classified: Mom
    September 29, 2011 at 12:54 AM (3 years ago)

That is such a fun idea! Thank you so much for linking up to The Sunday Showcase.

8. Brooke @ Let Kids Create
    September 29, 2011 at 4:38 AM (3 years ago)

I love the use of magazines, my girls could definitely go for this. It involves everything they love – cutting things they normally aren’t allowed to and gluing it! Thanks for linking up to Monday Madness!

9. Melanie @ bear rabbit bear
    September 30, 2011 at 5:22 PM (3 years ago)

Hmmm..this looks like a good thing for my “What We Did This Weekend” segment! Thanks for sharing and linking up to Things I’ve Done Thursday!

Melanie
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

10. Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos
    October 1, 2011 at 2:17 AM (3 years ago)

This looks like a great way to keep all my little hands busy for a least a few minutes! Thanks so much for sharing this at our Seasonal Inspiration party. Hope to see you again soon!

11. Brooke @ Let Kids Create
    October 3, 2011 at 2:57 AM (3 years ago)

I am featuring this post this week on Monday Madness, hope you come link up again!

12. andie jaye
    October 3, 2011 at 4:42 AM (3 years ago)

such a fun project! we’re still waiting for the leaves in our area to turn… they’re a bit late this year!! i love his little office! the computer on the desk made me laugh. bear does that too! thanks for linking this up last week!

13. Domestic Goddesque
    October 7, 2011 at 7:38 AM (3 years ago)

I love this: it’s inspired me to get printing.

14. Melanie @ bear rabbit bear
    October 23, 2011 at 6:50 PM (3 years ago)

Just wanted to let you know that I’ll be featuring this project on my “What We Did This Weekend” segment in the morning!

Melanie