Falling for Crafts Challenge #1

Welcome to the very first topic in One Artsy’ Mama’s Falling for Crafts Challenge!
I’m so excited!
This week’s topic is….Centerpieces.
Your challenge is to create a fall inspired centerpiece that could be used to decorate a table or mantel.
Use any supplies you like; flowers, leaves, nuts, dried fruit, candles – anything goes!
It can be any shape or size, as long as it adds a touch of fall to the home.
Here are a few ideas to inspire you.
This is what I had on my table last fall and will probably recreate this year once October arrives.  I bought this hurricane vase on sale at Michaels and change out the candy and candle seasonally.  It’s a quick, cheap way to be festive…and the best part is, you can eat it too!  For a look at how I used the same vase for different seasons, click here.
If you want a similar, but more formal/natural look, try the vase and candle with dried corn, berries, nuts, and other natural elements in place of the candy corn.
You can layer them {like in the photo above}, or you can put a different type of filler in each vase.
This photo shows acorns and walnuts, along with some greenery to accent and add color to the otherwise very neutral decor.

Remember our version?  {and thanks to those who informed me that they’re hickory nuts!}

If you prefer flowers to candles, try a simple topiary using fall colors.  I created this one for about $15.  Want to try it?  Visit my tutorial here.
Now it’s your turn!
Ready to play along?
Step 1: Recreate one of the centerpieces shown here, or create something totally new and different.
Step 2: Take a picture of it!
Step 3: If you have a blog of your own, type up a quick post about it anytime in the next week; it can be a tutorial or just the picture of what you made.  Don’t forget to grab this button from the sidebar and add it to your post or blog so others know you’re participating in the challenge and can come play too!  {and I’d love it if you’d follow One Artsy Mama too}. If you don’t have your own blog, skip to Step 4!
One Artsy Mama
Step 4: If you’d like your project to be considered for next week’s features, let me know you played along!
The easiest way is to link up here, right below my name.

If you don’t have a blog, you can let me know by:
- posting a picture of your project on my Facebook page

- sending me an email with a picture of your project at dancers4life@gmail.com
Have fun!  I can’t wait to see your creations and I’ll feature some of my favorites next Thursday!

15 comments on Falling for Crafts Challenge #1

1. Erin
    September 2, 2011 at 2:05 PM (3 years ago)

As soon as I start getting paid again, I’m totally going to try some of the challenges!

2. Carmella
    September 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM (3 years ago)

Thanks for the challenge! Just the motivation I needed!

3. Cass
    September 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM (3 years ago)

Ooh! Hard first challenge, for me at any rate! No one lets me keep a centerpiece on the table for more than an hour or two and all my good surfaces for making a display are covered with fish tanks! :) This is definitely motivating me to get with the change in seasons.

4. Brandee
    September 9, 2011 at 5:30 PM (3 years ago)

Thanks for doing this Amy – I’m going to try to keep up! :)

5. Andrea @Oasis Accents
    September 9, 2011 at 7:29 PM (3 years ago)

Thank you for the invite Amy. I will have to take a look around to see what else is going on. =)

6. Natasha in Oz
    September 9, 2011 at 9:43 PM (3 years ago)

I wish it was Fall over here in Australia but it is Spring! Maybe I can see if I have an old blog post that features Fall decor. Great party idea!

Best wishes,
    Natasha.

7. Sallie
    September 10, 2011 at 5:14 PM (3 years ago)

I love the fall centerpieces, especially the one with the natural materials. Looks like I need a trip to Hobby Lobby.
    Thanks for visiting Texas Cottage. I hope to get a centerpiece made this week, so I can link up.

8. Stephanie Richardson
    September 11, 2011 at 8:50 PM (3 years ago)

Thanks for letting me know about your link up party. :) I’m quite enjoying the look of those nutty centrepieces.

9. Jaime Lyn at Crafty Scrappy Happy
    September 13, 2011 at 2:09 AM (3 years ago)

Hello friend! I am SO thrilled to be part of your party!!!! :o ) I am sorry I am a little slow at getting over here! (I started a new job today—boo—less time for blogging at least for today!) I am SO glad you came over and reminded me –Thank you!!! :o ) You and your wonderful blog are just great!!!
    Jaime

10. Carrie H
    September 13, 2011 at 5:36 PM (3 years ago)

I’m hitting Michael’s this weekend. So, I’ll catch up with your fall crafting soon! By the way, you gave me an idea with your last photo. I can swap out my green/purple hydrangea arrangement in my downstairs bathroom with some fall colored flowers. Awesome!

11. Rach H @ FamilyEverAfter
    September 17, 2011 at 12:03 AM (3 years ago)

Loved this last week. Thanks for linking! I wanna play, just haven’t got my fall stuff out yet! Youre being featured on my blog, come grab a button!!!

12. Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com
    September 19, 2011 at 3:42 AM (3 years ago)

Yay for fall! The Texas heat has me a little behind in getting my fall centerpieces together, but I am loving the inspiration! Thank you so much for sharing your post at Savvy HomeMade Monday and I hope you will stop by and party again!

13. Brave Brooke
    September 20, 2011 at 2:42 AM (3 years ago)

Those are great! Thanks for the link up!

14. Joyce
    September 21, 2011 at 2:54 AM (3 years ago)

I’m a new follower! I guess I just missed the cut off to add a link though. I recently posted about my fall bucket list. I used an “all seasons tree” that we’ve used in the past for centerpieces for various holidays. This time it does double duty as a visual bucket list. I love your linky and can’t wait to check back each week and see what everyone else is making! Thanks for putting it all together.